Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I was looking why a dog's urine may be thick/gel-like. He…

Customer Question
I was looking for...

I was looking for reasons why a dog's urine may be thick/gel-like. He was in quarantine for 10 days for accidentally biting someone and now that Ive picked him up he's lost at least 10 pounds of weight, seems to be sick, trying to urinate but just able to release a couple of drops, doesnt have any appetite

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

He is about 1 year old Australian shepherd mix, used to be about 70 pounds when I dropped him off at the vet hospital for his 10 day quarantine. Is it dangerous for a dog to lose so much weight in a week? I assumed he had a UTI but he spit out his food (a piece of steak!) and needs to go out to urinate every 10 minutes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog is so sick. Based on your description, I am very suspicious that he has a bladder infection. This is common with stress, and being in quarantine for 10 days can cause that. Severe bladder infections can be extremely painful and I would consider getting him examined as soon as possible.

The best way to diagnose a bladder infection is with a urinalysis. Can you catch a little bit of urine in a cup or tuperware and take it with you to the emergency room this evening or first thing tomorrow?

Another, more severe problem, could be that his penis is partially blocked and he is not able to completely empty his bladder. This would be a medical emergency.

Does this help? Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Amanda

Thanks. I noticed that he seems to be licking himself more than usual so I assumed it was an uti for that reason. I'm calling to take him in soon I just didn't know if the acute weight loss plus the stress etc. could have led to something else. I'll make sure to get him seen soon. Thanks

Your welcome. Good luck to you and your pup! Feel free to contact me in the future if you have any more questions.

Dr. Amanda