Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog is vimiting and has diarrhea What can we do and how…

Customer Question
Our dog is vimiting and...
Our dog is vimiting and has diarrhea
What can we do and how soon should I worry and take to vet
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Mae hasn't been feeling well. When did this all start?

When I see young dogs that are suddenly vomiting but acting relatively normally otherwise, the first couple of things I consider are infectious diseases (think stomach flu), dietary issues (I ate something that didn't agree with me) or foreign body obstructions (I ate something that's blocking my GI tract). These can range from mild things that they get over on their own, up to surgical emergencies.

As long as their breathing is not labored, there is no abdominal distention, and their gums are pink and moist, I usually recommend holding off on giving any food or water for at least 6-8 hours. If they are continuing to vomit though this time, it's time to see the vet. If they stop vomiting, then I start by offering a small portion of water. If they keep that down for more than 2 hours, I offer another small amount of water and a small taste of food (1-2tsp). As long as they continue to tolerate small meals, you can gradually increase the amount of food at each sitting and increase the time in between meals. If they aren't eating at all for >24 hours, this also merits a trip to the vet.

A bland diet of three parts boiled white rice to one part boiled white chicken breast can also be helpful with the diarrhea. If you can get to a nearby pet store or veterinarian, a probiotic like FortiFlora, ProBios, or an over the counter probiotic (in a pinch) can be helpful as well for general support of diarrhea. Here's a bit more info: http://thebark.com/content/vet-advice-treating-your-dogs-diarrhea

I hope that he's feeling better soon - please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Hi Lynn,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Mae. How is everything going?
Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian