Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog got into hydrocodone 5-325 may have eaten 1 or

Customer Question
Customer: my dog got into...
Customer: my dog got into hydrocodone 5-325 may have eaten 1 or perhaps 2. suggestions?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: dog is 62 pound goldendoodle 10 months old showing no symptoms
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your dog and the hydrocodone. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Can you please start by telling me how long ago this may have happened?

Also, I'll need to know if your pup is otherwise healthy or on any medications.

Thank you.

While I await your reply, I'll type in the basic information you need to know. This much hydrocodone isn't likely to be a problem, but the acetaminophen may cause some trouble. I'll explain...

That would be a maximum dose of 10mg hydrocodone for a 30kg dog, or 0.3mg/kg. That is well within the therapeutic range of hydrocodone in dogs. If anything, he will experience some mild pain relief, cough supression, and maybe even mild sedation. But overall the dose of hydrocodone is very low for a dog this size. There is no concern for an overdose.

At 325mg acetaminophen per tablet, that would be a maximum dose of 650mg for a 30kg dog, or 22mg/kg. We don't tend to use much acetaminophen in dogs because it's not very safe or effective, but when we do, typical doses are 10-15mg/kg. If he only ate one tablet, he should be fine. If he ate two, he may show some lethargy, appetite loss, or even vomiting. We do not expect severe toxic side effects at this dose, however.

As long as you're convinced he ate no more than one or two tablets, there is no need to take any action. If there is a chance he ate more, however, please seek veterinary medical attention as quickly as possible. Acetaminophen can cause life-threatening toxicity in dogs at high enough doses.

I will be going offline shortly and wanted you to have this information.

Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.

If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Thank you for using our website.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian