Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a barely 5 pound female chiauhua she ate extremly…

Customer Question
I have a barely 5...
I have a barely 5 pound female chiauhua she ate extremly fuzzy mouldy soft dog food she is vomiting consistently it's dark liquid and foam thick mucus at times there was spots of blood pls help she is my life
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- To make sure I got this right, the food had mold?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- Is she lethargic?

4- Any diarrhea?

5- How long since the last time she vomited?

6- Any other symptoms?

7- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Dog Veterinarian: Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian

Hello , My name is***** and I will help you.

Moldy can be toxic and can possibly cause liver damage or seizures.

How long ago did Hope eat this?

?

By how long ago please give it to me in hours or days. Don't give me in your time because we are probably in different time zones.

Because you write "mouldy" and not moldy I assume you are not in the US. If you are in Britain this is the middle of the night.

At any rate you are not responding.

But when you do get this please take your dog to a vet. There are several molds which can be toxic to dogs. Hope needs some lab tests to determine if she has liver or other organ damage.

She will probably need to go on IV fluids to maintain her hydration. If she has seizures she needs anti-seizure meds.

Since she is vomiting the Sucralfate may not stay down. But you can try it because it coats the gut.

Toxins are dose related. The less the animal weighs, the less toxin is needed to cause harm. Please treat this as an emergency.

Hello Raquel,

My name is***** and I will help you. animal babies don't overeat while nursing. The individual teats may have different amounts of milk. If he is always using the same teat the breast will be stimulated to produce more milk. But remember that he may just be sucking for comfort.

Watch the smaller female. Make sure that her brother isn't pushing her away. Rotate them if necessary to get at the fullest breast.

One way to check the stool is to remove the pup and gently rub the urogenital area with a soft cloth dipped in warm water and squeezed out. This will stimulate urination and defecation. You can do this when the pups are through nursing. Or just remove him from the nipple and do it then. If you have tried it several times and nothing comes out, or just urine, you must take him to your vet. There can be several birth defects that can prevent defecation.

Enjoy your new babies. How does it feel to be a nursemaid?

Feel free to ask more questions - even after the rating - if there are other things you need to know.

Please disregard the puppy questions. Sometimes this system overlaps the questions.