Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Type my min pin 13 human yrs old last week no appetite,

Customer Question
Type my min pin 13...
Type my min pin 13 human yrs old for the last week no appetite, listlessness, occasionally vomiting seems disoriented, occasionally trembling. No diet change never eats people food. This happened very suddenly. I do remember aweek ago he tried to jump up the couch and missed, banged his noggin pretty hard against the concrete. Any ideas would be very greatly appreciated. Thank you very much
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 2 years ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

So smart to look for more information! So, I may need to ask a few further questions to know what has been done and where you are with diagnosing him.

First, let me say fluid in the abdomen is never a good sign. However, we can usually get information based on analysis of that fluid to tell us if this is septic fluid (such as from puncture of an abdominal organ or rupture of pancreatic abscess) versus clear fluid that suggests leakage (as might be seen with organ failure- liver or pancreas) or blood. I cannot clearly determine an indication for surgery based on what you have written; so I need to ask some question and find out if this is actually clearly indicated.

So, my questions:

1) Was a fluid tap and then analysis performed (this would be sent to the lab for a pathologist to review)? Results?

2) Was an abdominal ultrasound performed by someone very good at reading these - this can evaluate the pancreas and all other organs to look for the potential source; primarily we want to see the pancreas to see if there is an abscess and confirm inflammation, and to screen for cancer as this would be a leading cause of the fluid he is experiencing?

3) WAs his lab work normal, particularly his protein levels? With pancreatitis, they could potentially get low and then this would cause fluid to leach into the abdomen and would be a CONTRAINDICATION to surgery (don't do it because he won't be able to heal and could die)?

4) What is his blood pressure? Hypertension can lead to fluid accumulation; and a search for the cause of hypertension is really needed (e.g., liver failure vs heart failure).

Thanks for giving me a bigger picture of what is going on. It helps me to provide you with the best information possible and gauge where you are in the process of determine the problem.

Please disregard what I wrote. I thought I was answering a different question and it wouldn't let me edit it after I sent it. So sorry. For Pong, I am very concerned he may have a head injury which could lead to what you are seeing. This is not good and really indicates he needs to be examined by a veterinarian ASAP! Has he already been seen by his vet and if so any testing?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian