Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Is there a disease which is a gh temp, constipated,ears and…

Customer Question
is there a disease which...
is there a disease which is a high temp, constipated,ears and anal area aflame.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 2 years ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

The answer is unfortunately, no. There is not a specific disease to cause the symptoms you have reported. The inflamed ears and perhaps even hind end can be related to a high fever as much of the body will get flushed. With constipation, we must be sure this is not diarrhea as many people assume a dog has consitpation when straining, when in fact having diarrhea is much more common and then would make sense for your dog's anus to be inflamed.

I wish I could guess as to the problem but with a high fever we are first worried about an infectious problem (virus, bacterial, fungal, parasitic), although depending on her age there are many many other possibilities ranging from pancreatitis to organ issue (liver, kidney, spleen) to cancer.

If her temperature when you measure via rectum is 104F or above, then this is an indication this is a medical emergency and you need to take her to be seen right now. She needs hospitalization for treatment because a high fever puts the body at risk for organ damage (brain, liver, kidney, spleen, etc). She needs an exam by a veterinarian followed by some testing which might include lab work (CBC, chemistry profile, urine check and fecal check) +/- imaging (ultrasound or X-rays depending on her physical exam findings).

I am afraid I cannot provide you with an easy at-home remedy for this. With a high fever, there are no safe over-the-counter therapies without knowing what is going on. For example, if you give aspirin (or another non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug and she has liver/kidney issues then it could worsen this. Until you can have her seen today, keep her in a quiet area and encourage her to drink and rest. You can offer an electrolyte solution such as Pedialyte for kids to keep her electrolytes up and help her stay hydrated.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Hi Alice,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified