Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

How can I tell if my dogs symptoms are a fungel disease in

Customer Question

How can I tell if my dogs symptoms are a fungel disease in her nasal area or something far more serious? All of her symptoms lead to a fungel infection but the vet hasn't brought that up.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

To answer you directly, no, general antibiotics don't address fungal infections. Once we identify a fungal infection, we know which of the antifungal systemic drugs are best to prescribe. Itraconazole, fluconazole, ketoconazole, and terbinafine are examples of such drugs.

First of all it's important to know which systemic fungal infections are endemic where you live. Your vet should know if blastomycosis, coccidiomycosis, cryptococcosis, or histoplasmosis are found in your area. Serological testing, then, can be directed to those differentials. When the nose is involved, scoping of the nasal passages looking for fungal granulomas and then examining direct swabs and the results of cultures of the swabs and exudate are how we would discover such an infection. X-rays of the nose and sinuses may be necessary.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.