Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 5 year old Shitzu (Magoo). He was a shelter dog.

Customer Question
Hi - My name...

Hi - My name is ***** ***** I have a 5 year old Shitzu (Magoo). He was a shelter dog. We've had him for 4 years. He always has to go outside for walks to release his bladder and poop.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Now, with the bad snow storm, he will not go out. We have a small yard and he won't go there either. How long can he hold himself without it hurtng him?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. This is a very common problem with small dogs during bad weather. They will not hurt themselves by holding it as nature will eventually force them to go. However, you can make this much easier by clearing just a very small area in your yard like 2 feet by 2 feet so there is a spot he can get to without snow of ice. Some dogs will then do their business. Also you literally have to force them outside and you will need to go out with Magoo and tell him to go potty. Eventually he will go. I hope this helps you but please let me know if you need additional help. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated.Thank you very much.

Please let me know if you need additional help as I check my computer every night. Sincerely, DRB

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B