Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Lab dog (8 years old) has been swimming in a chlorine…

Customer Question
My Lab dog (8 years...
My Lab dog (8 years old) has been swimming in a chlorine swimming pool and appears to have ingested some water, he is slightly distressed but not seriously, cold nose not panting no whining or staggering - just off colour. Advice please. And no he will not go in the pool again!x
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Our studies have shown that chlorinated pool water is safe when ingested by our dogs. Can you clarify "off colour" fo me? I need you to check Bentley's vitals for me, please...

1) Check his gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to his tissues).

2) Check his respiratory rate at rest. He should be taking less than 40 breaths/minute at rest.

3) Take his rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into his rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!

Please let me know what you find.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bentley. How is everything going?