Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Can we give immodium to an adult female dog

Customer Question
can we give immodium to an adult female dog
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, you can but dogs can only tolerate a very lose dose. So, Julie can only have 0.04 mg per pound of her weight every 12 hours. If she has sedation with this, then we'd need to stop the medication. Otherwise, in a case of diarrhea, we'd most commonly use Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p/page1.aspx). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI.

Otherwise, I would note that you can give low salt chicken broth to get fluids into her but otherwise in regards ***** ***** to digest diets, you can also offer small meals of cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). These are ease for her gut to process and can get food/fluid into her while reducing her diarrhea load.

Overall, you can use Imodium but just be careful to stick to the dose I noted to keep her from any issue as you try to reduce her diarrhea and keep her hydrated during that unfortunate weather.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Hi Ray,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Julie. How is everything going?
nekovet

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian