Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dogs and I went to bed around 11 last night. Penny, who…

Customer Question
My dogs and I went...
My dogs and I went to bed around 11 last night. Penny, who always sleeps through the night, just sprang out of bed at 7ish and threw up a light brown liquid. It was a bit mucusy and I saw one small piece of food. It also smelled pretty bad. My vet is not open yet and I've been reading some severe stuff online. What are your thoughts?!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did it look like coffee grounds? Or like the brown of her dog food?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has she had any diarrhea or black stools?

Like her dog food.
Her gums are pale.
Haven't tried food or water.
She tenses her belly.
Regular stool.

Thank you,

Now if Penny's gums are paler then usual and she has belly discomfort, we really do need to tread with care here. This is because we can see these signs with brown odorous vomit in cases of stomach ulcers, stomach trauma (if she has eaten something sharp like a bone), and in blockage situations. As well, we can of course see vomiting (but not usually paling of the gums) with bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, and general dietary indiscretions.

Now since we have these pale gums, we will want her seen as soon as her vet opens to make sure there is no ongoing GI bleeding. Still, if you don't think her signs are severe and/or you do not have a local urgent care, then you can start some supportive care until she sees her vet. To start, we'd want to put her on an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). You will want to give these 20 minutes before offering food and under the circumstances you will want to treat every 8 hours. Of course, if she cannot even keep this down then injectable anti-vomiting and ulcer medication would be needed from a local vet.

Once that has had time to absorb, we can start her on small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. And feeding small frequent meals do reduce the risk of her vomiting them while also giving the stomach acid something to chew on (instead of the stomach wall).

Finally, once her vet sees her they can assess those gums and belly discomfort. If they palpate something present in the stomach, then they can xray and address what is found. Otherwise, if they find an ulcer to be likely, they can start gastroprotectants (ie sucralfate) to coat any open stomach lesions, GI safe pain relief (ie bupenorphine, etc), and anti-vomiting medication. And with these we will have the best chance to settle this for Penny.

Overall, her gums and discomfort are a real worry. So, we need to be careful with her and plan to have her seen as soon as her vet is open. In the meantime though as long as she isn't severely painful in her belly and those gums are not paling as we monitor or white already, we can use the above until her vet is open.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Hi Ashley,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Penny. How is everything going?
nekovet

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian