Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had s ears flushed today, and nails cut as well as…

Customer Question
my dog had his ears...
my dog had his ears flushed today, and nails cut as well as two back dew claws removed. he has been whining all night.. I done not know what to do to make him comfortable.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like he may be a bit painful. Did they send home any pain meds with you?

If they did, then he may need another dose. If it's Tramadol or Gabapentin, you can give another dose. If it's Rimadyl, then you need to wait for the next scheduled dose.

If they did not send home meds, I would contact them in the morning to see if they can send something. In the mean time, you could give some Benadryl at home. It has some anti-inflammatory properties and it can help with mild sedation to get him some sleep.

The dose of Benadryl in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 6-8 hours, as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.