Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My cockerpoo ate 2 chocalate cookies should I be worried?

Customer Question
My cockerpoo ate 2 chocalate...
My cockerpoo ate 2 chocalate cookies should I be worried ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. Roughly how much does Lily weigh, { In pounds } ?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

23 lbs
Please reply by email

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. Good news, it is very unlikely that just two chocolate cookies are going to have any sort of adverse effect on a dog of that size. You may perhaps see a mild transient bout of gastroenteritis purely because of the sudden ingestion of an unaccustomed rich food source, but even this is unlikely.

2. You see the rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 23 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 16.1 ozs { more than pound } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. Also it is probable that there would have been other ingredients in the cookies other than chocolate.

I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

3. here is a link to an accurate article which covers the topic of chocolate toxicity in the dog in more depth : LINK

But the bot***** *****ne is that your dog should be just fine and there are no special measures you need take in this sort of situation.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chocolate cookies ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.