Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

2.3 years ago we adopted a spayed 11-year old golden

Customer Question
retriever named Willow. When we...
2.3 years ago we adopted a spayed 11-year old golden retriever named Willow. When we first saw her, we found skin cancer on her neck/shoulder which was removed by the rescue organization's vet. So far, the cancer has not re-appeared. She came to us taking Temaril-P daily for an itchy skin condition, hives, etc. which we were able to discontinue by finding a better quality dog food. She does take the Temaril-P two hours before baby shampoo baths. We bathe her as infrequently as possible due to the itching that follows.Willow takes 0.9 mg Soloxine daily (0.6 in the morning, 0.3 in the evening).
She has acid reflux currently being treated with Sucralfate slurries 1-3X day as needed in addition to Omeprazole 20 mg. twice daily every day.Last October Willow awakened and appeared "stiff." Several moments later she was unable to stand up at all. The regular vet took x-rays and determined there might be a serious malignant growth. She was referred to another practice for an ultrasound. The ultrasound found no such growth, but also no answers. Then she went to a neurologist. The practice asked her to stay overnight while being observed and given IV fluids. The next morning, Willow was up, walking and ready to go. No answers!Willow had been taking Proin for incontinence. I got worried that the October event might have been caused by high blood pressure. The vet took her BP and it was indeed very high. We were counseled to take her off the Proin which we did. The blood pressure came down. We have replaced the Proin with DES 1 mg. 1 tablet every 5 days which seems to be working.Willow is under the care of a vet, an internist and a neurologist. She is, of course, a fabulous dog.My question is about vaccinations. We are worried that, because of her delicate conditions (and the unanswered October incident) getting a rabies vaccine might not be in her best interest. Our town will allow her to be licensed without rabies if there is a medical need. Willow gets exercise for over an hour daily, always under the supervision of my husband.I wonder what your opinion is of my reluctance to vaccinate Willow at this advanced age and with her medical problems. Her last rabies vaccine was in April of 2011.Thanks for your help,
Betsy
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I will help you.

Despite her age and problems I still recommend getting her the Rabies vaccine.

You still want her to get her license. It is probably an ordinance in your community.

Betsy I know that you love Willow and want to do the best for her. You are a very concerned owner.

If you have any more questions concerning the vaccinations - even after the rating - I am here for you.

Even with all of her problems I see no reason not to vaccinate her. However ii is your decision because of the exemption you can get. You have to do what you feel is right for her.

I expected a more professional reply - maybe some information about vaccines and immunity. I thought I was getting connected with one of the vets who answered a question of mine once before. I thought I saw his name as being available. I am disappointed with the results but don't think that further questions will help. I don't think being told I love my pet is instructive.

Betsy, I saw nothing in her history that would suggest that her immune system was compromised.

If you want I can opt out of this question and let another expert handle this.

I believe that you can specifically ask for a vet.

Would you like me to opt out and let another vet take the question?

The main thing is that you are satisfied.

Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian