Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy broke its nd left leg 16 days ago. They told us to…

Customer Question
My puppy broke its hind...
My puppy broke its hind left leg 16 days ago. They told us to take it to the vet to get the splint changed weekly. I took it 2 days ago and they put a really soft splint. It just came off about 1 he ago. Can it wait to be. replaced tomorrow morning or should I take it right now at night to the Animal hospital? Thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 2 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

Not knowing the nature of the fracture or its severity I have to vote for a more immediate replacement of teh splint.

If you elect to wait, it will be ery important to keep Bitsy completely confined. No running, no jumping, being in a large crate would be best. Let her sleep and be undisturbed so she isn't moving much and get to the vet early AM.

I would not attempt to splint or stabilize the leg at home.

Sorry to hear what happened.