Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 9 year old lab boxer mix has a cluster of what appear to

Customer Question
be warts on his back...
My 9 year old lab boxer mix has a cluster of what appear to be warts on his back and smaller warts in a couple of other areas! What could be causing these and is there a reason to be concerned?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your problems with your dog. He is 9 years old? Has he had these warts for awhile or did they all pop up at the same time? Is he bothering them at all? Are they bleeding or irritated at all?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Had for a while but now much larger. Also has lump under front left leg that is new and us limping.

It is not uncommon to see warty like growths on older dogs that are benign (in the sense that they don't spread elsewhere/cause cancer somewhere in the body). Often these are what are called sebaceous growths. Here is an article with information on them: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1934

Without examining your dog in person, I cannot tell you if this is what your dog has on his back, but they are the most common cause for what you are describing in an older dog. Sometimes they do get scratched/bleed/become irritated and then may require removal.

What concerns me more is the lump under her leg that is causing limping. That is not a matter that should be left to "wait and see". I would highly recommend getting her in to see a vet for them to examine the lump. They may recommend an x-ray of the area to see if it is invading any of the muscle or bone in the area, or a needle aspirate, where a small needle is used to collect cells from the tumor to try to identify what type of tumor it is, which gives us a better idea of how quickly the tumor will grow and how invasive it may be.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.. If you do not have any other questions, please take a moment to RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!

Jess K
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian