Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My pom is 10 years old and s eye started running a little…

Customer Question
My pom is 10...

My pom is 10 years old and his eye started running a little yesterday. Today it has some green junk in the corner of it. I know he probably needs some eye drops. The one's I have are from 2012. That is too old right? He keeps it closed now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

It is red, angry and running. I looked in it and didn't see anything in it but he won't let me look good. Very angry looking.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I can give you some basic guidelines for this evening but if this persists please consider a veterinary exam. Especially if you are able to view the cornea and it is hazy/ blue or the eye seems swollen

Yes unfortunately drops from 2012 should be discarded at this time

- Saline flush for contact lenses every 8-12 hours to flush the eye. Not solution but flush
- No rubbing! If there is no corneal ulceration this can create one but if there is one it can definitely exacerbate the tear and increase risk to the eye
- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound to help relieve the itch and allow him to rest more comfortably
- A moist towel in the freezer for 30 minutes then applied can help numb and provide relief

If flushing has not improved the eye then I would advise a veterinary exam to ensure there is not a corneal ulcer that requires medical therapy or another condition that is causing him to close the eye due to pain. I would hate to have you end up at the veterinary er over the weekend because it worsens or is not improving and have to pay the higher price in order to get him comfortable

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today, I hope he is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another hour tonight if I can clarify anything tonight

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I am signing off for the night but will return tomorrow morning to see if you have responded with any additional questions or concerns. Good luck to you and your little Pom, truly

Good morning, I wanted to check in on your Pom see how things were going after your question?

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman