Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has been scratching while now and now she has 2 spots

Customer Question
My dog has been scratching...
My dog has been scratching for a while now and now she has 2 spots bleeding on her back and some of the hair has been scratched up, what do I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your dog. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

It appears you are not currently online and available to discuss your question with me. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you. I will OPT OUT now so your question will be available for other experts when you return online.
Thank you for using our website.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear your dog is itching so much.

I can give you some basic guidelines but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam to determine the underlying cause and more aggressive ways to control the symptoms

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8-12 hours for itch. It may cause mild sedation initially
- Oatmeal-based dog shampoo twice daily at first until reduced redness to those spots then slowly taper to two to three times weekly to control the itch with ten minutes contact time before rinsing. This will help to soothe the skin and if there is a contact allergy it will rinse away the allergen
- Begin a fish oil supplement with 1500 mg EPA & DHA daily. This will help skin and coat health but can take 2-4 weeks to take full effect
- Ensure you are feeding a high quality diet with no by products which can cause itchiness in some dogs
- If necessary socks on the back feet temporarily so they cannot cause further damage to the areas of redness/ bleeding

I hope this information makes sense and gives you a starting point for how to control her symptoms but if she is very uncomfortable and no change with my recommendations she may require medicated shampoo, oral antibiotics, and possibly even steroids to control her symptoms. Please let me know how else I can assist you both this evening, I am online another 30 minutes to assist you

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both, I am signing off for the night but will respond in the morning if you have additional questions or concerns

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Good morning, I wanted to check in on Adrienne to see how things were going after you asked your question?

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian