Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My rat terrier is displaying some odd symptoms. He's shaking

Customer Question
Customer: ***** ***** - my...
Customer: ***** ***** - my rat terrier is displaying some odd symptoms. He's shaking a bunch, panting and can't seem torelax. He is eating and drinking water.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He just seems like there is something off. He's shaking and doesn't want to engage as much.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My rat terrier is shaking, panting a bit and displaying some odd behavior. For example, this morning my husband stated he was laying on the cold tile staring at the water cooler. He is alert, eating and drinking water. At night he is having a hard time staying still and wanders up and down the bed. Last night he was crying. I have run my hands down is body, checked his ears and paws and he is not crying at all when I apply pressure to his body.
1/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 1 year ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

This does sound like there is something bothering your dog. I am glad he is eating/drinking and has no vomit/diarrhea/coughing. The most common issue that would cause him to be restless, particularly at night would be pain especially pain in his spine (back/neck). Some dogs may cry out at random when picked up and when he moves, whereas others the only symptoms we get is restlessness.

My best recommendation since he seems stable (and so long as he is not having any weakness in his legs or is crying out in pain) is to monitor to see what happens tonight. If you have another restless night, then it is time to have him seen by his veterinarian tomorrow. He needs an examination. I am not sure what further testing may be indicated after that since it does depend on what is seen on his examination.

I apologize that i cannot give you an exact diagnosis or any specific medication recommendations (there are no safe over-the-counter pain options for a dog of his size), but I too would need to perform an exam of him.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified