Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Can i give my dog steriods 3 days after stopping rimadyl…

Customer Question
can i give my dog...
can i give my dog steriods 3 days after stopping rimadyl
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now in an ideal world, we would want to give the body time to ensure we flushed out any residual Rimadyl. The reason is because the two drugs share some common pathways and that means there is an increased risk of adverse signs. Specifically, if both are in his system at a high level, we could see GI upset, vomiting, appetite loss, diarrhea, or even bleeding stomach ulcers (which can appear as belly pain, brown coffee ground vomit, paling gums, or black stool). Still if it has been 3 days and he is in severe pain despite the other drugs, then we can start the steroids as long as we monitor closely. As well, to try to offset any stomach risks, you can pre-treat with an antacid (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), etc) or speak to his local vet about gastroprotectants.

Overall, a pause between these two drugs is always ideal but if it has been 3 days already and he is sore, then we can cautiously start the steroids while using the above and keeping a close eye on him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian