Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Tito is acting strange. He seems afraid, he peed in front of…

Customer Question
Tito is acting strange. He...
Tito is acting strange. He seems afraid, he peed in front of me cowering on the couch, and he's wobbly as if he were drunk or having trouble keeping his balance and he vomited once. He was fine when I left this evening, and my roommates were home tonight so he couldn't really have had any exposure to anything hazardous. Are these symptoms of something serious
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 2 years ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

If his symptoms have continued then the answer is, yes. These are concerning. I am most worried about the "drunk" appearance which can indicate an array of problem from toxin exposure (medication, drug, plant, etc) to organ problem to primary brain issue. It really warrants an exam as soon as you can arrange for him to be seen, especially with the concern of potential toxicity which would be my largest concern.

I wish I could narrow down to a specific diagnosis for you but this would require an exam followed by some testing. There is no easy at-home solution I can recommend. Since he is already vomiting, vomit induction is not going to help remove anything he might have swallowed (it's already absorbed). But I would recommend keep him quiet and do not feed him.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.