Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

None of my emergency veterinarians are available quick

Customer Question
None of my emergency veterinarians...
None of my emergency veterinarians are available for a quick question and I have an immediate concern. Hopefully you can help.
My female golden retriever recently whelped a litter of 6 puppies (her 3rd litter) and everything has seemed fine until today. The pups are 5 days old. She has liquid stools, however is still eating and drinking well. My concern comes from this afternoon and evening, when her belly has been making extremely loud gurgling sounds, seems enlarged (although not hard when palpated), and she seems uncomfortable. Should I be worried this evening or discuss it with my veterinarian tomorrow?
Thank you!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The etiology of diarrhea at this time in the dam is usually multifactorial. It can arise from he keeping he puppies' rear clean, hyperactivity of gastrointestinal parasites, and from the hormonal and prostaglandin changes occurring. Her loud gurgling sounds is called borborygymus and represents the sound of liquid and gas passing through a hypermotile bowel. I'm concerned if you're seeing bloating, however, as that can progress to life-threatening twisting of her stomach on itself (gastric dilatation volvulos). In that case, however, my patient isn't eating and drinking well and demonstrates persistent non-productive vomiting. May I have an update on Nala, please?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian