Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Dog can't get s penis back in he has been licking hours,

Customer Question
My Dog can't get his...
My Dog can't get his penis back in he has been licking for two hours, please help!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both tonight!

I am so sorry to hear this is happening to your dog!

I can give you some basic guidelines to try to reduce this occurrence but if it continues then he should be seen by your veterinarian because this can affect his ability to urinate and can become an emergency.

This condition is called paraphimosis or inability to contract the penis. Below is a link to information on this condition in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/reproduction/paraphimosis-and-phimosis-in-dogs

Recommendations include:

- No licking! Licking introduces oral bacteria and can result in a urinary tract infection and further swelling of the penis
- Using KY jelly or vaseline to lubricate the penis and attempt putting it back into the sheath or prepuce (baby oil is not lubricating enough)
- If this is successful, pinching the foreskin over the penis for a few moments to ensure it doesn't recur
- If not successful and the penis is swollen you can use granulated sugar to draw out the moisture then retry the lubrication in hopes of retracting the penis

Again if this continues I would advise a veterinary exam so they can help return the penis to the sheath. If left exposed and not maintain a moist environment it can lead to necrosis or dying of the exposed tissue and in severe cases amputation.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I am online another 30 minutes tonight. I hope this resolves soon...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today and truly hope my suggestions provide relief to Toby. I am online another 10 minutes if there is anything else I can do for you

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on Toby to see how he is doing after the events yesterday? Is the swelling gone? Were you able to get his penis back in?

I would love an update when you are able and if you found my information helpful then please rate with the stars at the top of your screen so I can be compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both!