Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 16 Yr, old Shi Tsu that eats well. On a gh protein

Customer Question
Hi I have a 16...
Hi I have a 16 Yr, old Shi Tsu that eats well. On a high protein diet. Almost blind, and doesn't hear at all, if she isn't sleeping, she paces the floor, around the house, around the outer walls, doesn't seem to be in any pain, just can't figure out why she does this. Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to the chat! I am Dr. Altman and am happy to answer your questions today

So sorry to hear you are having what sound like cognitive changes in your Precious

Below is more information on this condition, called canine cognitive disorder:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/keeping-your-dog-healthy/senior-dog-care/cognitive-dysfunction-in-elderly-dogs

There are treatments for this that can help in supplement form but also in some situations medications as well.

1.) Melatonin can help with barking or increased movement at night

2.) Proneurozone which is a supplement for brain function that can help with mental clarify in senior pets. It is available through your veterinarian but also on-line at stores like amazon.com

3.) Fish oil is essential for brain function and used at higher doses to help cognitive function. For example, for your dog's size 1000 mg EPA & DHA daily. This can be a human formula

4.) Anipryl which is a prescription medication used for cognitive function if the above options are not helping

5.) Alprazolam (xanax) is used for episodes of anxiety not controlled by conventional methods. Not intended for daily use but is effective as needed (in the diazepam or valium family)

6.) Donepezil 10 mg is a newer option used in human Alzheimer’s patients and is receiving attention by some veterinarians for cognitive dysfunction that we see in dogs as well as in humans. The dose ranges from 10-30 mg (1.5 mg/kg average) daily

These are all methods that your veterinarian would have available to you to assist with some of the cognitive issues and some that you should be able to purchase at a local vitamin store or on-line

I hope the above options are helpful to you but if I can assist with clarifying anything or guiding any further questions you might have please don't hesitate to ask.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another hour if I can be of any further assistance tonight

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on Precious to see if you had any additional questions after reviewing my information yesterday?
I would love an update when you are able and if you found my information helpful then please rate with the stars at the top of your screen so I can be compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian