Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My cocker spaniel has a yeast infection that doesn't go

Customer Question
away. My vet puts him...
My cocker spaniel has a yeast infection that doesn't go away. My vet puts him on an antibiotic and it clears up, for a while and then comes back. Ihave him on Blue Buffalo grain free rice and chicken.What can I do to help him
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear that your Oscar is having these issues with his ears! Unfortunately as you likely know they are terribly common in the breed.

I have several patients with this issue and there is an ear wash I strongly advise with dogs that have chronic ear infections because it has the ear treatment in the flush and can reduce risk of relapses. CLICK HERE for a link to this flush, used every other day or at least once weekly longterm to reduce these from returning

Other things to do:

-Ensure the protein is not too high in the food. High protein foods (>30%, I prefer <26% on these cases if possible) can increase alkalinity of the body pH which predisposes them to yeast infections
- Fish oil with(###) ###-####mg EPA & DHA daily which can take 2-4 weeks to have full effect but promote a healthy coat, immune system, and joint
- Sometimes cranberry chews can help aid in reducing the body pH if the above is not effective, CLICK HERE for a link to the product I use

I hope this gives you a guideline of things to try for Oscar but please let me know if I can be of any further assistance today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I apologize but will be away from my computer for about an hour and will return as soon as I am able to see if you have responded with additional questions or concerns...

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!