Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I was just trying to do research on gurgling stomach in

Customer Question
Hi there, I was just trying...
Hi there,
I was just trying to do research on gurgling stomach in dogs. My dog has epileptic episodes and is not medicated for them, but this seems different for her behavior. She is 4 next month, an overweight american/english yellow lab (we are working on her weight issue currently). This morning, she vomited, and her stomach won't stop gurgling. She is a very food-motivated dog, but has yet to eat breakfast, won't eat any treats, and she wouldn't even eat the yogurt I offered her. She seems a little lethargic as well and is just lying down and is extra cuddly. Any advice to get a happy tummy back? Her "droppings" were normal the last time she went last night.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Skye. I'm sorry to hear about about her upset stomach. The gurgling that you're hearing is the contractions of the intestinal tract pushing air and liquid through it. A lot of gurgling can be associated with intestinal upset. The fact that she vomited is an external sign of the upset she's having. Is this due to eating something that didn't sit well? Is it due to something foreign being eaten that may not be passing? Is it due to something that has been eaten that is more of a chemical / toxic irritant? Could it be due to a metabolic kidney or liver issue? Could it be an infection? There are lots of possibilities here. At this time, the best that can be done at home is to pull food and water for 8 hours to let the stomach rest and then starting water and food. Obviously if the vomiting continues or she gets more dumpy, then getting to a vet to have them evaluate her is best.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, thank you. I will try the fasting.
She has been on the same food since a puppy (canadian naturals chicken and rice), didn't get any treats at all yesterday, and ate all her meals yesterday just fine. We ate out last night, so no table scraps and no foreign object or human food out of the ordinary. Our last dog was poisoned by neighbors, we have since moved and been here for 3 years. My husband and I avidly check the yard for anything out of the ordinary now before letting her do her business, and with 2 young children in the house, we don't keep anything toxic out anywhere. Even dying my hair, I close the bathroom doors and then clean and dispose of all evidence immediately. The liver/kidney thing I had not considered. I will keep that in mind. I was worried you were going to mention torsion (my parents dog had to be put down after this. She had it once, had surgery, then it haopened again. ..)
Thank you for your time. We will keep a close eye on her for the day and see where it heads.

The stomach torsion is classically where they attempt to vomit but get nothing up. They also are bloated in their abdomen and have a lot of discomfort. This is a very bad situation and progresses quickly. This doesn't sound like that. Here is a very good link on it.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=672

It sounds like the environment is pretty well controlled. Some dogs have environments where the sky is the limit as to what they can possibly get into. Having younger kids in the house really helps to keep parents on their toes about what any small child or pet can get into. But the other possibility there is that now sometimes toys, socks, etc.. can be left out that the pet really likes to chew on / eat.

Hi Meghan,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Skye. How is everything going?
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian