Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 10 year old 15 lb Shi Tzu that has cancer. I've…

Customer Question
I have a 10 year...
I have a 10 year old 15 lb Shi Tzu that has cancer. I've been told that people who have animals with cancer are giving it to their pets with a significant success rate. I want to give my dog some but have been cautioned not to give too much. I have a bottle of capsules that are 450mg each. The directions on the bottle are 1 capsule per day for adults. What dose should I give my dog?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Please tell me the ingredient in the 450 mg capsule.

Tumeric 450mg. Gelatin, vegetable stearic acid, Silica, veg magnesium sterate. Those are listed as the "other ingredients "
Tumeric 460mg Tumeric Extract 50mg

Thank you. You're interested in the flavonoid circumin which is present in turmeric. We don't have any peer-reviewed studies supporting its use in canine cancer and so the best I can tell you is that it shouldn't be harmful if you want to see how it affects Scout. The suggested dose is 15-20 mg/lb daily or 225-300 mg daily for Scout. Adverse side effects are uncommon as long as you stick to the prescribed dosing recommendation. Reported side effects in dogs have included gastrointestinal distress - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea, nausea/appearing "dizzy", and, rarely, bleeding under the skin and hypoglycemia.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Hello?!

Sorry for the delay. I just got back in. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you for your response. I'm going to try it

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

Hi Harry Short,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Scout. How is everything going?