Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has had diarrhea 2 days she's acting normal eating…

Customer Question
My dog has had diarrhea...
My dog has had diarrhea 2 days she's acting normal eating ect no changes no temp so can i try this before I resort to vet
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

From what you have told me, it does appear that your sweet Beliz has a mild digestive disturbance. This can be caused by a number of things:

Parasites
Infection
Stress
Ingestion of bad food or foreign material
Cancer
Metabolic Disease

The first thing to do is as follows:

Fast Beliz for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down. Water is ok.
Give Imodium AD at ½ caplet per 15 pounds of weight every 8 hrs.
After the fast, feed a meal of rice and boiled chicken (2/1).

If this has resolved, wean Beliz onto regular food. If this persists, have your vet examine Beliz. Even the dehydration from this can be serious and then your vet will determine the cause so treatment can be initiated correctly. I heavy worm load can cause this so it may be wise to give a wormer that you can get from your vet. Since Beliz is so young, it is most likely caused by either stress or ingestion of food that did not agree with her.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****