Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 4yr old female presented with swelling of the nose and…

Customer Question
My 4yr old female presented...
My 4yr old female presented with swelling of the nose and ears last night, and pawing at her face, as though it itches. I think it is an allergic reaction and want to try Benadryl but she is pregnant and I want to make sure it is safe. She is due around February 5 or so.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now her being pregnant does make this a tricky situation. This is because there are no antihistamine is licensed as safe for pregnancy in dogs. In regards ***** ***** this is considered a class B drug as related to pregnancy. This means we usually will avoid its use but a single dose usually is safe and low risk to the pups.

That said, in regards ***** ***** lowest risk, Chlorphenamine (given at a dose of 4mg up to every 8 hours) is considered safest to use during human pregnancy as long as not giving close to labor. So, as this is a situation we'd need to extrapolate from human medication that would be our main choice here. Otherwise, Loratadine (5mg every 24 hours) and Cetirizine (1mg per kilogram of her weight ever 12-24 hours) would be preferable over Benadryl. And all of these are OTC at most pharmacies and grocery stores. So, those would be out options here with her allergic reaction. Though we'd of course want to follow up with her vet if there are any suspect bites causing this or she doesn't settle.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Hi Tim,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian