Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

, I have a small dog, she is an Australian terrier x…

Customer Question
Hi my name is...

Hi my name is Doug

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I have a small dog, she is an Australian terrier x poodle, and for about 12 months she would on rare occasions have trouble breathing threw her nose. But earlier this morning she began having trouble all the time trying to breath threw the nose, I just put down some dry food for her and the other dog but she is not interested. She is normally by my side all day but today wants nothing to do with anyone. I just tried to flush her nasal passages with a mild salt water solution but it seems totally blocked. Any Ideas please.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello.. Thanks for the question.

I'm worried about a nasal tumor in your dog. These are fairly common tumors that will cause nasal congestion, discharge and eventually death as they invade the bone and brain.

This may just be an infection, but the lack of air flow makes me worry more about a true mass effect. To diagnose these, we need to scope the nose (rhinoscopy) and do a CT scan of the head. If it's a fungla infection, an anti-fungal is done at the same time. If it's a tumor, then the options are limited. Radiation therapy is the best way to shrink them down.

If it's just a bacterial infection, then some antibiotics +/- steroids may help to decrease the inflammation and get things under control.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian