Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 2lb chihuahua consumed a few drops of my e-liquid with a…

Customer Question
My 2lb chihuahua consumed a...
My 2lb chihuahua consumed a few drops of my e-liquid with a nicotine content of 24mg/ml. She had an immediate vomiting reaction. No apparent SOB or loss of coordination. She is 5 months old and does seem less active. She ingested this approx 15-20 min ago. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello Megan,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Megan

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. The situation is this the dose of nicotine where you would start to see symptoms in dogs is variable from around 1/2 to 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight. The lethal dose is likely to be 4 mg per pound.

2. I know it was only a few drops but as the E-liquid contained 24mg/ml one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation as a precaution is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK even if quite a bit was ingested. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

However if you fail to induce vomiting and any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your case expected side effects would include tremors, weakness, incoordination, lethargy and more but for a complete list check out this article : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Megan,

I am just checking back in to see how Jade is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the e-liquid nicotine incident ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.