Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My schnauzer very old, lumps, constant liquid diarrhea,

Customer Question
other wise still moving around...
My schnauzer very old, lumps, constant liquid diarrhea, other wise still moving around peppy, help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello.

For diarrhea/ colitis, I usually have owners add fiber to the diet to help firm it up. To do this, you can give 1-2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin with her meals. This is often enough to get the diarrhea under control over 2-3 days.

You could also try a dose of Loperamide (Imodium). You can give 1 tablet (2 mg) every 12-24 hours for 1-2 days.

If this is not helping, then it's probably infectious and some Metronidazole from your vet would be needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian