Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy ate some food that had been dropped around some…

Customer Question
My puppy ate some...

My puppy ate some food that had been dropped around some boric acid

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

She isnt having any symptoms I am not sure how much she ingested. She is a lab husky mix she was born oct 14, 15

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: DrMelJ, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. It only takes a small amount of boric acid especially in such a small pup to cause serious toxicity. Signs include vomiting, diarrhea, and can lead to seizures and death. I would highly recommend that you get your puppy to an emergency vet as soon as possible. They can help treat the puppy to try to minimize toxicity. There is nothing you can do at home. Do NOT induce vomiting as the boric acid burns the esophagus as well. I hope this helps. Best of luck. Take care.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DrMelJ