Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 14 year old Yorkie is weezing, laying down alot, and is…

Customer Question
my 14 year old Yorkie...
my 14 year old Yorkie is weezing, laying down alot, and is having a hard time passing her poop. She ate yesterday morning, but hasn't eaten since. She also vomited twice, last night and this morning. I have been rubbing her belly and she did drink some water.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Jodi. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I am always worried about a dog that is not eating, especially one that is 14 years old. If you check her gums, do they look pink or pale? When she passes poop, is it normal, or hard and dry, or softer than normal?

She may just have a digestive upset with nausea, gas, and colitis (swollen inflamed colon lining causing her to strain to pass stool). If that is the case, 2.5 mg of Pepcid AC (Famotidine) twice daily and 1/2 teaspoon of Pepto Bismal twice daily may help. However, at her age, I would want to be sure it is not something more serious. If she continues like this, I would start with a thorough physical exam: palpate internal organs and lymph nodes, listen with a stethoscope, check her gums and her temp (normal rectal temp is between 101 and 102), check her hydration, etc. She could become dehydrated if she is not eating and she is vomiting, and that could make her condition worse.

Let me know about her gum color and stool consistency and what other questions you have.

How is she doing? Was this helpful?

How is Jodi doing?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian