Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 97 lb German Shephard had a spiriva capsule that I had…

Customer Question
My 97 lb German Shephard...
My 97 lb German Shephard had a spiriva capsule that I had dropped after using, in her mouth!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did she break the tablet at all? Any of it missing?

How long ago did this happen?

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you but did want to leave my thoughts since this is a time sensitive situation.

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, this isn’t a product we use with dogs. Therefore, we’d don’t have any set safety range but from previous research know that a dog this size would have no effects if she had up to 26mg. More than that and we could see GI upset (vomiting, appetite loss, constipation), belly cramps, lethargy, wobbliness, or changes in her breathing rate.

With this all in mind, since she has had this in her mouth, it’d be worth flushing her mouth with cool water to remove any residue. Afterwards, if you think she swallowed any or you did want to err on the side of caution you could follow this with activated charcoal. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining drug in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Overall, if you got this back before she perforated the capsule, then we likely have no ingestion at all (the best case scenario). That said, even if she did get some, it doesn't sound like much, so we have a low risk situation. So, you can rinse her mouth +/- use activated charcoal if you think she swallowed any and other would just want to monitor for any of those signs over the next 12-24 hours.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Hi Cindy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Hope. How is everything going?
nekovet

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)