Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What is hudsons discease in dogs.

Customer Question
what is hudsons discease in dogs.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian

Hello Michel,

My name is***** and I will help you.

The same tick that carries Lyme Disease can also carry Babesia, a protozoa that can be transmitted to man. The result is blood destruction. It was first discovered in the Hudson Valley in New York State.

I have found no report of it in dogs in veterinary references.

However because Babesia is a parasite of the red blood cells of mammals I suppose it is possible for a dog to contract it from the tick.

Treatment is difficult and the drug used depends on which Babesia species is present.

Babesia parasites must be found in blood to diagnose it.

I'd be curious to know who told you that your dog had it.

It is midnight here in Hawaii. I'm going to bed but I will check with you tomorrow. You can email me - even after the rating.

The most common form of Babesiosis in the US is transmitted by dog bites.

Other less common ones are transmitted by ticks.

Are you sure of the name. Perhaps you meant Horner's Syndrome.

Hello Michel,

I'm still wondering if you meant Horner's Syndrome instead of Hudson Disease.

Bella is much more likely to have the former.

Let me know.

Dr Marta

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian