Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 8 lb dog ate a bag of chocolate several hours ago and has…

Customer Question
My 8 lb dog ate...
My 8 lb dog ate a bag of chocolate several hours ago and has had chills and now just vomited a lot. Do I take her to pet emergency. She is drinking lots of water
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your little one. Chocolate toxicity situations are dependent on the type and amount of chocolate ingested as well as the dogs size. She's not a very big one so it definitely takes less volume to be more serious for her. Since she's already vomited, it shows that her stomach is pretty upset by all this. Some can have a situation called pancreatitis develop along with the chocolate toxicity factor. The best thing that you can do now is to get her to the pet ER clinic. They can evaluate her and take further treatment steps. If she vomited up chocolate with this vomit, then it would seem beneficial to at least get her to take some activated charcoal to help bind what else is in her stomach. They can also get her some anti-nausea medication. Bring the remaining bag with you so they can do some more accurate calculations on the dose she got. Some may need to be hospitalized on IV fluids as the dose is one that can cause tremors, seizures and irregular heart rhythms.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian