Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had her rabies shot yesterday. Why is she drulling at…

Customer Question
My dog had her rabies...
My dog had her rabies shot yesterday. Why is she drulling at the mouth,sore,and just laying around?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Please help!!! I need to know now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1/20/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

First, I am so sorry that no one has assisted you both today and second that Lillie is not feeling well!

It sounds like she is having a vaccination reaction. The drooling is very common when related to nausea and I can give you some tips for this as well as to treat a possible vaccination reaction and what to monitor for in case of emergency

Drooling:
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours which is for nausea and stomach acid buildup
- If she is up for it, take a nice long walk which increases gi motility, reduces abdominal cramping and nausea but please no grass eating but since she is lethargic this might not be realistic
- No dinner if you have not already fedto allow the symptoms to subside without introducing anything orally that might result in progression to vomiting
- Water only in moderation
- In the morning small frequent meals of a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken

Sore:
- Benadryl at 1 mg/ pound every 6-8 hours overnight which may cause mild sedation on top of being lethargic but should help get her feeling better

Causes for concern and to consider recommending a veterinary er

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration
- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it
- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable
- Swollen abdomen
- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest
- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5
- No interest in food for 24+ hours
- No urination for 12+ hours
- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour
- Productive coughing
- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress
- Increased itchiness, swelling, or bumps on the skin that are not subsiding within an hour of the benadryl

Again I am so sorry no one has assisted you yet today and I am here to answer any additional questions you may have

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses as I understand your concern for your beloved Lillie. Do you need any guidance with a benadryl dose? Can I aid with any additional questions?

I am online another hour tonight if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on Lillie to see if my suggestions last night helped aid in getting her comfortable? I would love an update when you are able...