Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Our 7 yr old lab was diagnosed with mass cell cancer 3+

Customer Question

Our 7 yr old lab was diagnosed with mass cell cancer 3+ years ago. We give him benedryl, trams
Tramadol, and famotidine everyday. The last 4 days he has had no appetite, orange poop, vomiting 1 time. 2 days ago the vet, over the phone said to give him prednisone again 10 mg again once a day. Can you tell me what it sounds like to you?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Jonah's symptoms of anorexia, orange poop (the transit time of his GI tract is likely to be increased not giving the GI bacteria time to metabolize bile into brown poop), and vomiting are non-specific. Primary gastrointestinal disease and disease elsewhere in his body that are affecting his gastrointestinal tract need to be considered. There's no reason to assume that mast cell cancer nor the administration of prednisone 2 years ago is responsible. I would be uncomfortable presumptively prescribing prednisone once again until I thoroughly examined Jonah including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.