Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My name is ***** *****,and was wanting to know why my dog is…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** *****,and was wanting to know why my dog is sticking his tongue in and out like a snake

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Sticking his tongue in and out like a snake and sometims he wants outside real bad and he goes and looks for grass to eat.But most of the time he is sticking hiss tongue in and out ,in and out ,,was wondering if maybe if a growth maybe possible

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now this is a behaviour we can see of a range of reasons in the dog. If he is eating excessive amounts of grass lately, then we'd be most wary that this is secondary to nausea (even without vomiting). That said, we can see also see this with they have oral discomfort from issues like rotten teeth, sore gums, infection (ie abscesses), foreign bodies caught between the teeth, ulcers, and when they have masses/growths (an issue for older dogs). As well, on rare occasions we can see odd oral movements (though usually it looks like they are trying to catch flies) caused by atypical seizures.

In this case, with his grass eating, the first step would be to allay any nausea. To do so at home, you can try an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac).Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Once that has had time to absorb you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk).

Of course, if his signs linger, then we'd want to plan to have his vet thoroughly examine his mouth to determine which of those remaining concerns are present here. Depending on their findings, they can remove the problem or advise you if further treatment is needed.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet