Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 20 lb dachshund stole a 4 MG dose of prednisone and ate

Customer Question
it. What should I do...
My 20 lb dachshund stole a 4 MG dose of prednisone and ate it. What should I do
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello Claite,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Claite

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. Actually there is no need to take any special measures in this sort of situation a one off dose like this is not going to do Puck any harm, he may be a little bit thirsty for 24 hours but that's about it.

2. The reason I am not so concerned is that there is quite a dose range for prednisone in the dog, indeed the highest dose I have seen quoted is 3 mg per pound of the dog's bodyweight which would mean a dose of 60 mg in Puck's case. That sort of dose is exceptional, but for common diseases such as skin allergies you might consider 0.25 mg / pound which works out as 5 mg in Puck's case.

The bot***** *****ne is that the dose of prednisone which Puck got was well within a regular prescribing range so no adverse effects would be expected and there are no special measures you need take.

3. Here is a link to an accurate article which covers how this drug is used in dogs in more detail : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Claite,

I am just checking back in to see how Puck is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the prednisone ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian