Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have an 11 yr old English lab. As of yesterday he has been…

Customer Question
Hi Dr. Peter I have...
Hi Dr. Peter I have an 11 yr old English lab. As of yesterday he has been unable to stand up and keep standing. He seems to have no strength in his hindquarters and once he does stand up he will wobble and fall.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, welcome to Justanswer. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Prior to this happening did he have problems with his back legs like difficulty getting up from the floor or going up stairs?

2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Is he alert and responsive?

5- Is he eating and drinking?

1. Not really. Has been getting slower in his old age but that's it.
2. No
3. None
4. Very alert & responsive
5. Yes

1- Is he drinking more than usual?

2- Any other symptoms?

he is drinking more than usual.
No other symptoms

1- He is not on any medications, correct?

2- Are you seeing any abdominal swelling?

3- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

No medications
No swelling
Gums are pink

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, when we see acute onset of loss of motor function to the back legs this usually occurs with disorders affecting either the vertebral column (spinal cord) or hips. Common possible causes are: Arthritis of the hips, spine, a slipped disc, tumors, etc. So, it is very likely that this could be related to severe arthritis of the hips/spine or both.

My other concern is that he is drinking more than usual. When a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign an underlying medical problem. There are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: An active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. Can any of these diseases also affect the motor function in the legs? Yes especially diabetes or even tumors (cancer) in the abdomen or limbs.

In this case unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I would strongly recommend having him checked first thing in the morning by family vet for blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC), xrays of the hips/spine/abdomen and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by clinical and diagnostic findings. If this is related to arthritis he will be started on prescription anti inflammatory medication and pain killers. Unfortunately not much I can recommend for you to give over the counter. Do Not give things like aspirin, tylenol, advil, etc. until he is seen by family vet and has had blood work done.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tana Springmeyer-Weber. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian