Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 12 year old yorkie. He has started to fall in the…

Customer Question
I have a 12 year...
I have a 12 year old yorkie. He has started to fall in the past week. Today he just is not himself. Hes just sleeping and sort of "out of it". He seems very nervious.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Jack. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.

You may start by telling me what your question is for me.
Thank you.

It appears you are not currently online and available to discuss your question with me. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you. I will OPT OUT now so your question will be available for other experts when you return online.
Thank you for using our website.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Jack is so sick. Based on your description the following possibilities come to mind:

-back or neck pain. This is very common in older small dogs and if it is a disc pressing on his spinal cord, this can affect how he can walk and move. If he is very painful from this, he may be "zoning out" to deal with the pain.

-fever?

-liver or kidney disease

-pancreatitis causing severe abdominal pain

-cancer causing weakness

I would recommend taking him to your vet for an exam and consider blood work and x-rays based on the exam findings.

Does this help? Do you have any other questions?

Dr. Amanda

How is your pup this evening? Is he having any more trouble walking? Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. A