Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 7 yr old female German shepherd has a sore bottom. Her

Customer Question
anus is red and when...
My 7 yr old female German shepherd has a sore bottom. Her anus is red and when I wipe it with antiseptic spray it's a bit bloody. I then put an antiseptic cream on it but it just doesn't get better. I took her to her vet 2 months ago and she put her on high doses of prednisone and that was awful! She could not hold her urine and she was drinking way too much water wherever she could find it. You could tell she was upset about it too. So now I just keep wiping and outing the salve on it. Any ideas??
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- So this has been going on for 2 months, correct?

2- Is she licking the anus?

3- Any diarrhea or is the stool normal?

4- Is she rubbing her butt on the floor?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she licks it. No rubbing on the rugs. Bms seem normal

1- How is the rest of the skin on her body?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- What are you feeding her?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it's been actually more like 4 months
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She eats benefit. Weighs about 85lbs. Rest of skin is clear, coat is shiny. Otherwise very active and healthy.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Beneful that is

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, it seems like her butt is itchy (anal pruritis) and as a result she is causing damage to the skin. A very common cause for anal pruritis is an underlying allergy (food or environmental). It is also very important that you stop her from licking. You see, the licking itself causes inflammation and will delay healing. This is what you can try:

1- Change her diet to a prescription food called Hill's z/d or a grain free diet with a different source of protein then what she normally has had in the past. For example: If she seldom ate fish then put her on a grain free food that has fish. When on this diet she should not eat anything else or she will not improve. Needs to be on this diet for 6-8 weeks before you see significant improvement. For treats you can give her veggies like broccoli, baby carrots, cauliflower, etc.

2- Start her on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg 4 tablets every 12 hours. You can buy benadryl over the counter in any pharmacy.

3- Supplement with Eicosaderm (omega 3 fatty acids); you can buy this over the counter in any pet store or online. Give at label dose.

4- Need to stop her from licking or she is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area.

5- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

6- After washing affected area as above apply a topical cortisone or hydrocortisone. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days. You can buy this over the counter in any pharmacy.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above I would look into a consult with a board certified dermatologist.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Hi Jane,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tasha. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian