Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My name is ***** *****. My Italian Greyhound female has a…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** *****. My Italian Greyhound female has a growth under her right rear leg. My vet told me it was a fat deposits and not to worry about it unless it interfered with the dog's mobility. I have never heard of a large bump under the leg being a "fat deposit". Is this common?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

More details? I don't understand. What do you want to know?

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Your greyhound's vet thinks that your greyhound has formed a lipoma (benign fatty glob) under the skin. These can appear most anywhere on dogs and both the groin and axilla (armpit) are common places. For your peace of mind have her vet needle aspirate the growth and examine the aspirate microscopically while you wait in the exam room. You should know within minutes if the growth is nothing more than benign fat.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian