Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a 14 year old yorkie He woke up yesterday with weak

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old yorkie
He woke up yesterday with weak left hind leg. Doesn't seem to be in pain but having hard time putting weight on it. They say not injury but neurological. He is having hard time pooping
Any suggestions
Vet says due to age having MRI to determine if in brain won't be worth it since won't due surgery
How can we tell if spine vs brain vs ???
He wants to walk, not legargic
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he showing other symptoms besides the limping on the left leg?

2- Did your vet do xrays?

3- Is he currently on any medications? If so, what are the names?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other symptoms besides hind leg weakness, no sign of pain, he has cataracts and they say and have mentioned left pupil reacts slower (for at least 2 plus years) and he has humped spine(See photos/video attached 2 videos and one photo of his spine
Can I text or email videos to you
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, the videos or pic did not post. You can post them right here through the paper clip icon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other symptomsHe has had cataracts and left pupil gets smaller /reacts slower for last 2-4 year. Nothing other than weakness mostly left hind legNo X-ray since they believe neurological
Can I email/text u two videos (Lasy night And today)
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They won't attach here so I sent directly to text I received
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This afternoon
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Is he currently on any medications?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I am going to direct you to customer service so they can explain to you how to post the video.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ThanksNo was to no meds
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't heard from customer service to get video and photo spine
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I am going to opt out and allow another expert to help you. It seems we are having trouble, sorry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok someone who understand seniors and has alternative way to accept videos
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please or this won't work
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. Peter for you. Please contact***@******.*** who will help you upload photos and videos. They'll then send me the files for me to review and I'll notify you when I've done so.

The change in posture - the "hunch" in your Yorkie's back concomitant with paresis (weakness) and/or paralysis of a hind limb(s) is pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of myelopathy (spinal disorder) and the myelopathies I consider at his advanced age are degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") and a tumor in or around his spinal cord.