Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is coughing and hacking foam

Customer Question
my dog is coughing and...
my dog is coughing and hacking white foam
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Gabby. When did Snow Ball start coughing up white foam? Does he have any nasal drainage or sneezing? Is he having any trouble breathing? Is he still eating and playful?

He's still playful and eating normally. His breathing is good.

Thank you, ***** ***** many days has it been going on? How much does he weigh?

Started coughing and hacking last night.

OK thank you,

The most likely cause is "kennel cough" or "infectious tracheobronchitis" It cause inflammation in the trachea and bronchiole tract. It is usually caused by a virus.

Normally it resolves in 7-10 days.

You can give plain Robitussin cough syrup for the cough. 1 teaspoon, per 10 pounds, every 6 hours as needed.

Keep a humidifier in his room. When you take a shower bring him into the bathroom and steam out his respiratory tract.

Signs he needs to see the vet are:

Trouble breathing or getting oxygen

Abnormal gum color

Refusal to eat or drink for more than 12 hours

Unable to sleep due to coughing

Vomiting up what he eats due to coughing

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?

I'm just following up on our conversation about Snow Ball. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby