Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My lab has an ear nfection, it is winter here and he hasn't…

Customer Question
my lab has an ear...
my lab has an ear nfection, it is winter here and he hasn't gotten his head wet since summer. I cannot go to my vet since I am going in hospital for knee surgery. I have cephalexin 500mg Can I give him that to help? I would prefer natural like olive oil or such. what do you recommend.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Dogs that have had other ear infections especially labs develop scarring that allows other infections to invade easier so it is not unusual that Bear has this. For now, since you cannot get your vet to treat Bear, apply Swimmers Ear by Bausch and Lomb available over the counter at the pharmacy. Place a few drops in each ear, massage it down and wipe out the excess with a kleenex. Do this every 12 hrs. This will dry out the ear so the bacteria and/or fungal elements cannot grow. It is better to get your vets insight into giving systemic antibiotics such as cephalexin since this may not kill off the existing bacteria that is present. If the topical treatment is successful, systemic antibiotics are not required.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****