Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10 year old red healer has a lump on her left side we…

Customer Question
My 10 year old...

My 10 year old red healer has a lump on her left side we asked the vet about 8 months ago to look at it and he said not to worry until it was the size of a baseball. it is very big and I have been up all night because it is really bothering her

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

It seems to be very hard and almost a hour glass shape

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Where is the lump located?

2- How big is it?

It is located on her left side just behind her front leg . It is about the size of a softball

Friend, in dogs just like in humans lumps could be benign or malignant. If this lump is fast growing the best option is to discuss with your veterinarian about complete surgical removal and submitting the tissue for a biopsy (histopathology) to rule out a malignant tumor. Unfortunately, there is not much I can recommend for you to try at home that will have a significant therapeutic benefit. This is a case where surgery is the best option to treat this growth. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter