Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My wheatonn terrier just got into a jar of austrialian dream…

Customer Question
my wheatonn terrier just got...
my wheatonn terrier just got into a jar of austrialian dream cream pain relief cream
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago?

How much was in the jar (grams/mls/ounces/etc)?

How much does he weigh?

Hello again,

I have not heard back from you. Though since this is a potentially dangerous situation and time is ticking, I do want to leave my thoughts so that you can help your dog.

As I am sure you can appreciate, this isn't a product intended for ingestion and not something we use in dogs. There is actually very little data on the toxic effects of this but there are reports that it can cause GI upset, trigger stomach ulcers, cause breathing difficulties, and can dangerously drop the blood pressure to cause fainting and collapse. Essentially it acts as a synthetic anaphylactic reaction, so we do really need to tread with care.

With this in mind, we need to tread with real care. If your wee one just had this in the past 30 minutes or so, we want to inducing vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively (if you cannot get him vomiting or he had this a few hours ago), you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we'd want to monitor closely. Any of those signs and we'd want him to your local vet for symptomatic care and IV fluids. This way we can flush the drug out quickly and keep his blood pressure up and they can support him as needed (ie give oxygen, steroids to counter the reaction, etc).

Overall this product isn't used in animals and the main ingredient is a real worry here. Therefore, if he just ate this, use the above now. But any delay or signs and we'd need him to your vet (or ER vet) urgently. In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)